Showcasing the Best of Welsh Business

Tes Launches new Apprenticeships for Teaching Assistants and Early Years Educators

SHARE
,

Tes, the largest Subject Knowledge Enhancement provider and fifth-largest qualifier of teachers in England, has today launched two new Apprenticeships to help upskill and professionalise teaching roles in two of the most important areas of education.

The Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship will provide Teaching Assistants (TAs) with the pedagogy and expert support they need to carry out their roles in mainstream or specialist settings, while improving pupil achievement.

Meanwhile the Level 3 Early Years Educator Apprenticeship will equip nursery nurses, child minders, preschool staff and school-sited nursery staff with the knowledge, skills and training to ensure children aged 0-5 learn and flourish in a safe and healthy environment, while promoting their wellbeing.

Teaching Assistants and Early Years Educators are at the heart of our schools, nurseries and early years providers. It was schools that reached out to Tes to provide the same high-quality programmes for apprenticeships as it does for teacher training.

Emma Cook, Programme Director for the Early Years Educator Apprenticeship said:

“At Tes we believe in the value of great TAs and Early Years Educators. During the pandemic schools, nurseries and private early years settings simply could not function without these vital members of staff, who continue to go ‘above and beyond' for children, helping them to reach their potential. Now more than ever we need to invest in our support staff, allowing them to develop and progress in their careers.

“At Tes Institute we have long been associated with high quality post graduate teacher training courses. Our Level 3 Apprenticeships will now allow schools and early years settings to build and grow their workforce for the future, develop the skills of their talented existing staff and help to recruit new ambitious employees.”

The 18-month Apprenticeship courses will be delivered using a blend of online learning and face to face training, supported by a pathway tutor who has relevant experience.

The courses can be delivered at no cost to the apprentice if they are based in a school or early years setting that pays the Government’s apprenticeship levy. If the setting doesn’t pay the levy, the cost will still be extremely low: the setting can opt to make a 5% contribution to the cost of training and the government will pay the remaining 95%.

Lord Jim Knight, Tes Chief Education Adviser said:

“The last twelve months has shown just how important Teaching Assistants are to education – parents have been discovering how much they do and how much support their children’s learning every day. Teaching Assistants need guidance and training just like teachers, so they can become better practitioners and support learning even more effectively. The new Tes Apprenticeship is a way for schools to get formal qualifications for their Teaching Assistants using the Apprenticeship Levy they already pay to the Government.

“In addition, the new Early Years Educator Apprenticeship from Tes will give those in preschools and nurseries a wealth of early years training from experts in their field, helping them to create a safe and happy learning environment for the very young.”