Editorial Operations Director
Salary: £45,000 – £60,000 PA
Start Date – January 2024
Location – Wales/Remote/Hybrid
This is an opportunity to work at one of Wales’s fastest-growing media businesses, working closely with the Managing Director and Head of Production to help scale the business in 2024.
Business News Wales is approaching its 10th birthday, has 20,000 daily subscribers and over 50 clients and is now looking for a strong communicator with excellent organisational skills to become our new Editorial Operations Director.
A broad understanding of economics, politics, local government and a broad knowledge of Wales’ key industries is essential. One day, you might be drafting a brief around compound semiconductors, a few hours later, you could be setting up an interview about sustainable tourism.
The role will include supervising the daily operations of both Business News Wales and Green Economy Wales, refining editorial schedules, creating and sub-editing press releases, optimising client campaigns and coordinating a variety of virtual events, discussions and podcasts.
While the primary responsibilities will centre on planning, creating and organising a variety of editorial tasks, there will be an inherent connection with Business Development, playing a pivotal role in helping the business scale.
This exciting and innovative position will also require you to work closely with the team to streamline the current content process and evolve a variety of workflows involved in scaling content production.
As we look to expand our services and reach, you will play a key role in executing a wide range of new editorial initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have natural editorial instincts that will help Business News Wales sharpen its execution and develop new editorial initiatives.
- At least three years managing an editorial calendar across multiple verticals.
- Extraordinary organisational skills, highly collaborative, and a great communicator.
- A natural understanding and interest in SEO, social media, email, audio and video.
- The ability to break down potentially complex topics into easily digestible stories.
- Flawless grammar & spelling.
- Must be proficient in MS Office Suite, and comfortable using digital software and content management systems.
- Strong creative and writing skills are required for this position.
- Support the Client Manager in delivering and monitoring client campaigns.
- Manage existing editorial relationships (columnists/content providers)
- Plan out our news strategy through wide knowledge of the industry and key contacts.
- Regularly break agenda-setting, exclusive industry news.
- Ensure important breaking news stories are followed up quickly with the correct analysis and commentary from industry.
- Forward plan the news pages for a wide variety of industry pages.
- Edit and write news stories, making sure they are well researched well written, and legally sound.
- Optimise headlines, and ensure all copy is published according to house style and the highest editorial standards.
- Ensure news is correctly shared on all social media channels and work with the head of production to drive audience and subscribers.
- Create interesting and innovative ways to present news content online.
- Work closely with all our media partners and clients to ensure their content is optimised and suitable for Business News Wales.
- When required, attend and report on industry trade shows.
What we offer in return:
An excellent work/life balance with a fantastic, flexible working culture and all the benefits you would expect and more..
To arrange an informal and confidential chat email [email protected]