Adventure Parc Snowdonia in the Conwy Valley, North Wales, has scooped the One for the Kids (family experience) award at the National Geographic Traveller Reader Awards, in association with Audley Travel.
The awards ceremony, which took place at The Montcalm Hotel in Marble Arch, London on Wednesday night, showcased industry innovation and expertise from attractions and destinations across the planet, from Snowdonia to Antarctica, China to Patagonia.
Regarded as the last word on the best places, experiences, hotels and operators which go ‘above and beyond’ to make travelling meaningful and memorable, the National Geographic Traveller Reader Awards celebrate the best new additions to the world of travel.
Candidates are shortlisted by judges, and then readers of the National Geographic Traveller are asked to vote for their favourites. Adventure Parc Snowdonia beat off competition from The Bear Grylls Adventure in Birmingham and Tiger Lodges Reserve in Kent to win in its category.
Spectacular inland surf lagoon
Since it launched in 2015, Adventure Parc Snowdonia has established itself as one of the UK’s flagship visitor destinations.
Originally home to a spectacular world-first inland surf lagoon which offers wannabe surfers a fast-track to sharpening their skills, the parc significantly expanded its offer in 2019 with the launch of a high-thrills Adrenaline Indoors facility and off-site Explore Outdoors adventures like gorge walking and mountain biking.
Andy Ainscough, managing director of Adventure Parc Snowdonia said:
“It’s a big honour for us to be recognised by the National Geographic Traveller and its readers in this way, and we’re grateful to everyone who voted for us. The award is testament to the exceptional work of our dedicated team who are passionate about delivering engaging, family-friendly experiences to encourage and celebrate the instinct for challenge and adventure which is in all of us.”
Evolving plans for 2020
A 106-bedroom Hilton Garden Inn with conference facilities and a wellbeing spa is currently under construction at the adventure parc, with bedrooms looking out across the surf lagoon’s waves to the mountains and forests of the Conwy Valley beyond. It is due to open in November 2020. A pump track and woodland nature trail will open in spring 2020.
National Geographic Traveller Reader Awards 2019
- One to watch (city/region): Antarctica
- Firm favourite (country): Italy
- New national treasure (UK attraction): National Maritime Museum, London
- Far & away (overseas attraction): Skywalk at Fuxi Mountain, China
- One for the kids (family experience): Adventure Parc Snowdonia, Conwy
- Right track (rail): DiscoverEU and Interrail
- Across the waves (cruise & expedition): Celebrity Cruises’ Xpedition Class ships
- Domestic bliss (UK hotel): Titanic Hotel Belfast
- The destination hotel (overseas hotel): The Retreat at Blue Lagoon Iceland
- Unique stays (accommodation worldwide): Panorama Glass Lodge, Iceland
- High-flyer (airline): Emirates
- The big operator (tour operators & travel agents): Trailfinders
- The small-medium operator (tour operators & travel agents): Exodus Travels
- The innovator (industry movers and shakers): Aberdeen Airport’s therapy dogs
- Book worm (travel books): Around the World In 80 Trains, by Monisha Rajesh
- Sound & vision (TV & radio): Amazing Hotels: Life Beyond The Lobby (BBC Two)
- Beyond the recipe book (food & travel): Around the World in 80 Food Trucks, Lonely Planet
- Tastiest food & travel show (TV, radio, podcasts): The Hairy Bikers' Mediterranean Adventure (BBC Two)
- Foodie hotspot (destination): Lisbon
- The wish list (destination): Japan
- Special contribution to travel: Felicity Aston MBE