Openreach homepage sidebar
Beacon Cymru 1430 x 145
Beacon Cymru 450 x 460

Warm Wales Sidebar Button Advert JPEG

Openreach homepage sidebar

Dev Banc-Green Loans - SIDEBAR

port of milford haven profile ad

SHELL - 110375-Apprenticeships-BNW-banner-ad-450x460
16 February 2026

Home Building Industry Unites to Boost Access to Careers in the Sector for Women


The industry-backed Women in Home Building programme is returning for its eighth cohort, offering fully funded site management placements.

The Women into Home Building initiative, launched by the Home Builders Federation (HBF) in collaboration with national and regional home builders, has grown steadily year on year, with its new programme offering the largest number of areas available for applicants for placements so far.

Women currently account for just 15% of the construction workforce and only 5% of site managers, representing a largely untapped talent pool at a time when the industry will need an estimated 239,000 new recruits within the next five years to meet housing targets. Now more than ever, there is a need for targeted intervention to diversify the skills pipeline and future-proof the construction workforce, HBF said.

To meet this challenge, the fully funded three-week programme begins with an initial week of online training and insight sessions, followed by a two-week on-site work experience placement. Participants will gain practical insight into day-to-day site operations while developing leadership skills in a live working environment.

The programme also acknowledges and addresses barriers often faced by women, such as primary caring responsibilities, and provides successful candidates with childcare and travel support, sponsored by NHBC.

The programme is also diversifying its on-site placements, with the latest intake offering Building Inspector placements with NHBC alongside its usual site management placements, highlighting the breadth of on-site careers available to candidates.

To date, the Women into Home Building programme has successfully supported more than 150 candidates through introductory training and hands-on work experience. This has led to more than 50 candidates being offered employment within the industry.

Claire Follows, who took part in the May 2025 cohort, found the programme after taking a break in her career to care for her children.

Claire said:

“Deciding to make a return to work full time was a huge decision, but the programme allowed me to begin to work out what experience I needed and opened doors.”

Now working as a Trainee Assistant Site Manager at homebuilding group untypical, Claire added:

“The home building industry is part of every town and every young person’s future now. The huge array of roles and departments in construction and site management is not addressed enough in schools and colleges, and as more and more women enter the industry, they can show others how their skills and knowledge can drive forward so many parts of the industry.”

For placements taking place in May 2026, the programme will be accepting applications between Monday 16 February and midnight on Sunday 22 March. Career changers, returners, graduates, and women at any stage in their careers are encouraged to apply by completing an online application.

Neil Jefferson, Chief Executive at the Home Builders Federation, said:

“Women into Home Building is playing an important role in future-proofing the home building workforce and expanding the talent pipeline. By raising awareness of career opportunities and breaking down long-standing barriers to entry, the programme is helping more women consider and pursue careers in the industry.

 

“It is great to see women across the UK gaining valuable insight and hands-on experience in the homebuilding industry through Women into Home Building. As the programme continues to go from strength to strength, with placement opportunities increasing year on year, I would strongly encourage anyone considering a career in homebuilding to apply. I look forward to seeing participants from the upcoming intake go on to launch successful careers across the industry.”

Cassandra Codling, Senior Regional Director at NHBC said:

“We strongly support the Women in Homebuilding initiative and are pleased to sponsor childcare and travel for those taking part. It’s vital we continue to open up the construction industry to women and help unlock their potential. Homebuilding as a career offers so many opportunities, and it’s great to see this unique programme growing year on year. Ambitious government homebuilding targets coupled with consumer demand means there’s never been a better time to consider a career in the construction industry.”

The application window closes at midnight on Sunday 22 March 2026. Those interested are encouraged to apply here.


Podcast Thumbnail_PROPERTY

Columns & Features:


16 February 2026

13 February 2026

30 January 2026

Related Posts:

Business News Wales //