Showcasing the Best of Welsh Business

How to Claim Back Tribunal Fees


This article has been submitted by Croner

This month many employers that paid tribunal fees will get the opportunity to claim them back.

This follows the Supreme Court’s axing of tribunal fees in July this year on the grounds that they are ‘unlawful’ and a ‘barrier to justice’.

Visit here to find out if you are eligible to make a claim

How do I claim the fees back?

Information provided by the Department of Justice:

“To receive a refund, applicants will be invited to complete an application form with their details, details of their employment tribunal claim and the fees that they paid. These details will be verified against HMCTS’s records.

“Where people are unable to provide full details of the fees they paid, or the details they provide do not accord with the details the Department of Justice hold, their application will not be refused automatically, but it may take longer to process.

“Where a person is claiming for fees that they reimbursed to their opponent pursuant to a Tribunal Order, they will be asked to provide a copy of the Tribunal Order, and proof of payment.

“In cases where a person reimbursed their opponent under a private settlement, they will not be eligible for a refund; in such cases, the person who paid the fee to the Tribunal will be eligible for a refund.

“All applicants will also be asked to sign a declaration of truth about the details they provide.

“Refunds will be made to the applicant’s bank account; if an individual does not have a bank account, they can contact HMCTS for alternative methods of payment.”

To make a claim:

Write to:

  • Employment Tribunal Central Office (England and Wales)/Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) Fees,
  • PO Box 10218,
  • Leicester,
  • LE1 8EG.

Claimants in Scotland should write to:

  • Employment Tribunals Central Office Scotland/Employment Appeal Tribunal (EAT) Fees,
  • PO Box 27105,
  • Glasgow,
  • G2 9JRX

Or Email: [email protected]

Employment Law concerns? We can help

Croner’s experts are here to support businesses with implementing policies and procedures to protect against tribunals, as well as offer expert advice if you have an ongoing grievance or situation where a case is proceeding to tribunal.

To enquire about Croner’s HR or employment tribunal support please call 0808 145 3490.


Croner is the UK’s leading provider of HR, Health & Safety, pay and reward services. From expert advice to onsite training and consultancy, Croner has supported thousands of organisations with the management of people and safety for over 70 years.

From the Vale of Glamorgan, Croner Business Manager Paul Collins is the dedicated point of contact for a number of organisations in Wales. Paul has advised and supported hundreds of employers in the area, ensuring the best standard of service and ideal solutions for all partners.

The key areas of Croner’s support include, but are not restricted to:
– 24/7 HR and Health & Safety advice lines, 365 days a year
– On site consulting, including crisis support
– Instant Employment Tribunal assistance, with a successful resolution rate of 85%
– Legal Expenses Insurance to cover the cost of representation and awards at Employment Tribunals
– Pioneering HR software for employee and case management and reporting
– Pay and benefits services: Salary search and reports, job evaluation, bespoke research, market rate reports, pay modelling, executive remuneration, overseas pay
– Employee Assistance Programmes and advice lines to ensure wellbeing


Related Articles