Another successful month of passenger growth has been recorded at Wales’ national airport.
Cardiff Airport has now delivered 14 consecutive months of growth. July alone saw an increase of 17% in passengers travelling through the airport versus the same month last year.
July also saw Cardiff Airport host the arrival of the Wales football team from Euro 2016 to a ‘hero’s welcome’ with both fans and the world’s media welcoming back the team from France.
The rolling total of passengers flying from Cardiff now stands at 1,326,923 representing 29% passenger growth over the last 12 months (July 2015-July 2016).
This news follows on from a number of important announcements from our airlines and operators in recent weeks:
- Flybe will start its new route to Berlin one month early on 1st October 2016 due to popular demand
- Flybe has agreed a new codeshare with airberlin, enabling passengers starting their journey at Cardiff to connect onto more long-haul destinations via Munich, Berlin-Tegel and Dusseldorf
- Newmarket Holidays has added new destinations to its programme for summer 2017, with charter flights operating to Venice and Dubrovnik
- Thomas Cook will operate two direct flights to Orlando on 25th March and 24th May 2017, giving families a selection of two-week Disney holiday options to choose from
- A number of airlines and operators have released their schedule for summer 2017, including Thomson, Vueling, Balkan and Newmarket Holidays.
Debra Barber, Managing Director at Cardiff Airport, commented: “It has been a very busy summer of welcoming passengers through the airport so far, and with the school holidays now in full swing we’re expecting some 250,000 passengers to fly to sunnier climes during the six week summer break – an increase of 25% versus the summer holiday season in 2015.
“This time of year is also a great time to welcome visitors to Wales to explore all that our beautiful country has to offer, from city culture, to stunning coastlines and vast mountain ranges We’re proud to fly the flag for our national airport every day of the year, offering a warm, Welsh welcome to every one of our valued customers”