The launch of the Powys Business Award’s, which took place recently, gave one of the competition’s long standing sponsors Finance Wales, a chance to catch up with their category winner from 2015 – Mitchell Meredith.
“We’re proud to sponsor the Growth award again,” explained Investment Executive Gaynor Morris. “Over the last two years I have met some great businesses operating in a wide variety of sectors throughout Powys – progressive companies like Mitchell Meredith. It really is an exciting competition.”
Finance Wales has supported the Awards since it started in 2009, helping to decide the criteria for awards as well as being part of the judging panel.
“The Growth category at the Powys Business Awards is a real benchmark for organisations in the region,” added Gaynor. “Entrants need to show how they’ve maximised opportunities available to them. They must be competitive within their sectors and show substantial business growth. Innovation and good customer relations were key for last year’s winner”
Last year’s award winner was Welsh accountancy firm Mitchell Meredith, they were delighted to receive the Growth Award at the 2015 Powys Business Awards, Director, Ian Mitchell explained
“This was our first year of entering the awards and the judging process was a challenge and very thoroughly conducted. We are fortunate in having won three awards in 2015, including Independent Firm of the Year in Wales at the British Accountancy Awards. Our success was achieved substantially by having a loyal and committed workforce. Our growth is continuing in 2016 with the opening of an office in Cardiff”
The winner of 2015’s Start-Up of the year, Great Escape and Fitness, was also supported by Finance Wales micro loan team. That loan helped the fitness firm open a new gym and spa in Welshpool’s historic Art Deco cinema.
“Having successfully run gyms in Welshpool for a number of years I decided the time was right to branch out on my own. With my wife’s background in health and beauty we decided together we could offer something unique to the local area,” explained Christopher Greatorex, who runs Greats Fitness alongside wife Stacey.
“Finance Wales were there to help. They worked with us and invested £25k in our company to help us get off the ground. Now we’re going from strength-to-strength. Business is great and we’re able to offer a great experience to our customers.”
The categories for the 2016 Powys Business Awards are:
- Start-up Business Award sponsored by The County Times
- Micro Business Award sponsored by FSB
- Entrepreneurship Award
- Growth Award sponsored by Finance Wales
- Manufacturing Award sponsored by Myrick Training Services
- Agricultural Business Award sponsored by Lanyon Bowdler Solicitors
- Leisure, Tourism & Hospitality Award sponsored by NPTC Group
- Social Enterprise/ Charity Award sponsored by Mid-Wales Housing Association Ltd
- International Trade Award sponsored by Mid Wales Manufacturing Group
- Technology & Innovation Award sponsored by RES
- Excellence in Customer Service Award sponsored by Alun Griffiths (Contractors) Ltd
- Team Achievement Award sponsored by The Cambrian News and The Brecon & Radnor Express
- Judges Special Award sponsored by Sodexo
- Company of the Year Award sponsored by Powys County Council
Further details on all the awards can be found on the website www.powysbusinessawards.co.uk and deadline for submission of entries is Sunday 26 June 2016.