At Finance Wales we’re passionate about investing in Welsh businesses and have been since 2001. Pitching for funding can be a daunting task, but there are some great techniques you can use to sell your ideas to potential investors.
When you’re out networking you need to be able to sell your business in what is called an elevator pitch. That’s a short verbal presentation which usually takes less than a minute – the time it takes to Travel a few floors in a lift.
So, how do you structure your elevator pitch? We have a few tips below:
Start strong – first impressions count!
- What’s your unique selling point (USP)? Do you have exciting intellectual property (IP)? Do you have a dynamic management team? Think of the positives about your company that make you stand out from the crowd.
- What are you championing? – Tell the investor about the sort of deal you’re looking for.
- Why should anyone back you?
Make it Stick – Repeat key info to make sure it sticks
Tell us your success stories – twice!!
Be interesting and engaging but (authentic)
Tell us what makes you unique or your project backable.
Focus on what matters. Be relevant!
- Do you have a business plan?
- How much investment do you need?
- What’s the market opportunity?
- Is there a strong management team who can deliver?
Flex your message
Prepare your pitch. Make it sound natural. But remember you may need to think on your feet and adjust depending on who you’re talking to.
A customer will want to know about your product. An investor will want to know about performance.
Remember, If you don’t sound interested in what you’re talking about you can guarantee that nobody else will be!
Practice makes perfect, if you’re looking for funding think about these things in advance and practice your pitch before you get in to that lift. Don’t be afraid to ask advice either – Business Wales has some great guides you can use. If you want to talk to us about investment opportunities call 0800 587 4140 or email [email protected].