Businesses from across Newport and the surrounding area were celebrated at the inaugural South Wales Argus Business Awards event held at the Newport Centre.
The awards were held in partnership with the Newport Now Business Improvement District.
Matt Southall, founder and group managing director of Newport-based Acorn Group, received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Business of the Year, sponsored by Newport Now, was won by Industrial Automation and Control Ltd, which is based at Queensway Meadows, Newport. IAC also won the Training and Development Award, sponsored by Coleg Gwent.
Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns told the audience at the black-tie ceremony that he would soon be announcing the date for the removal of the Severn Bridge tolls. He also reiterated his support for a M4 Relief Road.
The audience also heard a speech from Newport Now manager Kevin Ward, who explained the role of the BID in Newport city centre.
Keynote speaker at the event was Paralympian cyclist Mark Colbourne MBE, who won gold at the 2012 Games in London. He gave an inspirational speech about how he recovered from a life-changing paragliding accident, in which he broke his back, to become a gold medallist.
South Wales Argus Business Awards winners in full:
- Large Business of the Year, sponsored by Thomas Carroll: Monmouthshire Building Society, Newport.
- Family Business of the Year, sponsored by MHA Broomfield Alexander: Tovey Bros Funeral Directors, Newport.
- Small Business of the Year, sponsored by Kymin Financial Services: The Pod, Newport.
- Start Up Business of the Year, sponsored by St Joseph’s Hospital: The Escape Rooms, Newport.
- Best BID Independent, sponsored by Newport Now: Kymin Financial Services, Newport.
- Best BID National, sponsored by Newport Now: Specsavers, Newport.
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year, sponsored by Icon Creative Design: Jonathan Hill, of Hi Coffee, Newport.
- Innovative Business of the Year, sponsored by Western Power Distribution: Cintec International Ltd, Newport.
- Customer Service Award, sponsored by Kingsway Centre and Friars Walk: Liverton Opticians, Newport.
- Contribution to the Community Award, sponsored by Monmouthshire Building Society: St David’s Hospice Care, Newport.
- Environmental Business of the Year, sponsored by the University of South Wales: Purely Disposables, Abersychan.
- Entrepreneur of the Year, sponsored by Johnsey Estate: Kelli Aspland and Laura Griffin, of Solar Buddies, Pontnewydd.