Trainer: Simon Williams (Cardiff University)
Strategic communications are central to the success of businesses, charities, private and public organisations.
Knowing how to deliver integrated and effective campaigns using social media, websites, email and print publications is now as essential as gaining traditional media coverage. And underpinning an effective communications strategy – especially with the use of social media – is reputation management.
This one-day course will guide you step-by-step through developing a communications strategy. We’ll cover everything from setting goals, understanding audiences and developing messages, to deciding channels, planning content and measuring success. With many practical tips along the way, this strategic approach will mean your communications have the impact they need.
Please note that although the course will include a look at what is and what isn’t an effective press release it will not include how to write one.
- Know how to create a practical and useful communications strategy for your business, organisation or campaign
- Be familiar with approaches to identifying and understanding audiences
- Understand how to craft impactful campaign messages
- Appreciate the range and relative merits of communications channels (eg news media, web, email, social media, print publications)
- Understand how to plan and implement appropriate communications activities – e.g. press releases and media opportunities, engaging content for online and offline media
- Develop understanding of strateigic approaches to writing for the web, particularly Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Know more about metrics, measuring impact and analytics.
Who should attend?
- Those already working in Communications or PR
- Journalists planning on moving into a communications role
What you need to bring
If your organisation has a brand or an organisational strategy it would be useful for you to familiarise yourself with it/them before the workshop. You could even bring it along.
We have a cancellation policy of two weeks (10 working days) prior to the start of the course. If you cancel in this period we will be unable to refund any course fees.
If you are a member of the NUJ and have been made redundant in the last six months or are facing redundancy you are entitled to two days of training free of charge, please [email protected] and we will let you know how to book on this course for free.
Cost:Varies -Free – £70
WHEN:19th February 2019 – 09:30 – 17:00 GMT
WHERE:Cardiff – The Meeting Room