We are very pleased to announce that we will be partnering with the Wales Governance Centre at Cardiff University to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Welsh Devolution Referendum.
“Wales said Yes” will look back at the results of two decades of devolution in Wales, and to celebrate its achievements. This is an opportunity to discuss the lessons of the 1997 referendum, and how attitudes may have changed since then.
Confirmed speakers include:
– The Rt Hon Carwyn Jones AM, First Minister of Wales
– Huw Edwards, BBC
– Elin Jones AM, Presiding Officer, National Assembly for Wales
– Professor Roger Scully, Wales Governance Centre
– Leighton Andrews, Co-founder, 1997 Yes for Wales campaign
- 09.00 Registration and networking
- 10.00 Welcome from Auriol Miller, IWA Director
- 10.10 Panel discussion: “What happened in the 1997 referendum?
- 11.00 Keynote speech from Rt Hon Carwyn Jones AM, First Minister of Wales
- 11.30 Coffee and networking
- 12.00 The media reaction to Devolution: Huw Edwards, BBC
- 12.30 The public reaction to Devolution since 1997: Professor Roger Scully
- 12.45 The Voice of the Campaigners
- 13.30 Lunch
- 14.30 Welcome back from Auriol Miller
- 14.35 The changing face of the Chamber – Elin Jones AM, Presiding Officer
- 15.20 Panel discussion: Did the 1997 Referendum deliver on its promises for Wales?
- 16.20 Closing notes: Professor Richard Wyn Jones
- 16.30 Close
WHEN: 18th September