A Town Centre initiative in Llangefni, which received crucial Welsh Government funding, has proved to be a huge success.
Llangefni secured the maximum grant of £50,000 from the £845,157 Town Centre Partnership Fund in 2015.
The initiative, which saw close co-operation between Llangefni Social Enterprise, Isle of Anglesey County Council and other partners, successfully delivered a series of projects that helped regenerate and revitalise Llangefni town centre.
Some of the project’s successes over the three years include:
• 10 community events, such as Gŵyl Dewi and Llangefni’s first Foodslam;
• Purchase of equipment for future events in the town;
• Established the Llangefni Life loyalty card scheme;
• Asset transfer of the Llangefni Golf Course, ensuring it remains open under Llangefni Social Enterprise;
• Production of a town leaflet for visitors, as well as a media guide for local businesses;
• Installation of three footfall counters in Church Street, Bridge Street and the High Street to measure the town footfall.
Isle of Anglesey County Council’s Head of Regulation & Economic Development, Dylan Williams, is pleased with the initiative’s success.
“The Town Centre Partnership Fund was designed to help Llangefni in many ways – which included increasing footfall and supporting innovative approaches to regeneration.”
“The financial support from the Welsh Government has benefitted Llangefni immensely – and helped kick-start other initiatives currently being developed in the town.”
Chairman of the Llangefni Social Enterprise, Arthur Owen, added:
“This initiative was to both help sustain and boost the long-term viability of Llangefni. Local shopping centres up and down the country are facing similar problems but what is special about Llangefni is that local businesses and groups are not just sitting back but are working together and taking positive action to tackle the issues.”
“I’d like to congratulate all the partners involved in this successful scheme. The funding has been put to good use and Llangefni is a more vibrant community as a result.”